05 March 2007

In which the author names many names

Most surprising moment: Realizing that most of the blogosphere thinks I'm tall. I'm not!

Most anxious moment: Selling out of books; or, the lady at Delta screaming at me on my way home.

Fave panel attended: Buddhist humor panel featuring Nin Andrews, my undergrad amiga Bich Minh Nguyen, and many more. It was so good that Adam Deutsch had to get all barefoot and whatnot.

Also enjoyed: panel on Barbara Guest, though I wish the timing had been better, since the last few papers were cut short.

Had a blast chatting with: Paul Guest (even cuter in person!), my Chicago homegirls Brandi Homan, Simone Muench, Kristy Odelius, and Jackie White, the amazing Oliver de la Paz (I think you need to move to Akron so that we can hang out), John Gallaher (so much fun to watch as he hawks The Laurel Review with gusto), my dear Steel Toe sister Jeannine Hall Gailey (what do you think: Little Villainess on the Prairie World Tour 2007...), Julie Platt, Gary McDowell, Beth Kaufka, Gina Franco and Kate Greenstreet (I still have your book, KG!), all of my students who sold a ton of RHINOs (maybe next year I will try being friendly too), and everybody I am forgetting right now.

Admired from afar: Peter Pereira (walking by) and C. Dale (riding up the escalator as I sat chained to the RHINO booth).

Saw in my dreams: Charlie Jensen (in between sightings I had a dream that I bumped into him again. I'm surprised I got enough sleep to produce dreams).

Best reception: Hands-down the NEOMFA reception on Thursday night. Two bands, including a guerilla-style brass ensemble in bizarre costumes. Gotta love it.

Best reading: Switchback Books reading! It was so amazing to share the stage with folks like Amanda Auchter and Kristy Bowen and Jason Bredle and Clay Matthews, not to mention being able to defend my (uncontested) status of crunkiest NEOMFA faculty member afterwards.

Best meal: A really good vanilla latte I had on Friday. Not much of a dining trip.

Now: time to catch up.

15 comments:

John Gallaher said...

I'm really just in it for the money you know.

Did I tell you we're extending our $5.00 subsciption offer through this week?

I thought briefly about walking up and down the aisles of the airplane with a tin cup . . .

Penultimatina said...

Do you have sales experience or something? I mean, besides literary sales experience?

My MFA students were so good at selling stuff. I was good at hiding behind the racks eating sandwiches.

Justin Evans said...

Mary:

For the record, I knew youi were short. Being on the shorter end of normal for a guy, 5'8", I know my own kind. (Hobbits of the world Unite!)

I am so glad you had a great time. No jealousy there, either.

Last night I had one of the strangest dreams ever. I will not go into details here for safety reasons, but I totally relate to the weird dream thing.

John Gallaher said...

Being shorter than Justin Evans by a quarter inch, I've had to claw my way through the world of tall people.

Therefore, all my life, and sales, advice has come from Horton Hears a Hoo.

greg rappleye said...

Mary:

If people kept telling you (at Steel Toe Books and at the Rhino table), "Hey, some weird old guy stopped by and asked where you were," that w.o.g. was me.

More later!

Sara said...

Wait a minute! I saw that weird old guy when I was at the Rhino table...and I couldn't figure out why he looked so damn familiar. Nice to almost meet you Greg.

Penultimatina said...

Are you tall, Greg?

Sorry I missed you!

Justin, I figured you for about 6'3.

Sara and I are the same height: 6'10.

Oliver de la Paz said...

Totally, Mary. We MUST hang out at some point. Anyway, it was great to finally meet you in person. Sorry I kept passing by . . . I was lost. The bookfair was a puzzle to me, so I kept having to go 'round in circles. At least I got to wave to you many times.

*wave*

Charles said...

Gosh, if it turned out that I'm just one of your dreams, that would really make me reconsider everything (I think) I've experienced in my life so far!

Nice seeing you though, both in your dreams and in my hopefully-real life.

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Damn, sounds like I missed out. Next year, next year. (PS: I think people think I'm tall too, but they're mostly correct.)

jeannine said...

Mary - Villainess on the Prairie tour - I'm totally up for it!
PS At least they don't expect you to be taller AND blonder...

youki said...

mary b--

how did i miss both john gallaher and charles jenson--both of whom i wanted to meet. is it those silky tresses that lure all the boys your way? Your students rocked! As did Jeannine. . . so good to see you. . .can't wait to do it all over again. . .though i'm sick too:(

simone

J. Newberry said...

Mary,

It was so nice to meet you. I sent an email to your marybiddinger.com email addy, but it bounced for some reason.

Thanks for being so nice to me at AWP. I can't tell you how out of place I felt at that gigantic gathering. I felt completely uncool & meeting you made me feel a bit cooler.

Best to you.

Penultimatina said...

Feel better, Simone!

Yes, it's all the hair. Even Roy Orbison would get lost in it. Not to mention Gallaher et al.

How many days until NYC?

Penultimatina said...

Jeff--it was great meeting you. Sorry about that addy. You can always try my catbad at excite dot com one.

Hope to see you in NYC too!