03 July 2007

Mary Ka-Boom

Sara Tracey has poems up at Softblow, and they will rock your day.

What were you doing at this time last year? And the year before?

The fourth of July is a strange holiday. My family wasn't really rah-rah American in a lot of ways, so growing up we'd have brats and red cabbage and go see a foreign film at the DIA or something. None of that noisy stuff that I feel like I should expose my children to at some point. We'll be marching in a little parade tomorrow. I bought some streamers and tiaras and magic wands. Rah.

If I had a Schnoodle puppy I'd be walking him in the parade tomorrow. But I didn't get one last night. I gave him back. He was chocolate brown and had really sweet eyes. I don't know why I keep viewing and handling dogs when it's really not a good idea to get one right now. I'm still teaching five days a week, and dogs aren't like cats, where you just release them in your house and let them find the food and the pan. You hear that, Adam?

On a completely unrelated note, it occurred to me yesterday that I have never seen a live snail in person, only escargot. Snails are really cute! Maybe I should adopt a chocolate brown snail instead. Can he wear a top hat in the neighborhood parade?

4 comments:

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Can a snail wear a tophat? Well, okay, technically that's a giant slug. Still...

Sara said...

Thanks for the plug, Mary. Hope you're having a good 4th!

Penultimatina said...

Good golly, SS!

ST, I am going to use "Barberton" in my Modern American Po class. Prepare to be famous!

I didn't pet any dogs on the 4th. Woohoo!

Sara said...

Oh, to be a fly on the wall. I've always wondered what people would say about my work in a classroom setting. Ever since 10th grade English when I argued with my teacher, "how do you know that's what he meant?" I can't wait to hear how it goes! (And thanks, that's quite a compliment!)