02 May 2006

It's the penultimate...

...day of classes for the semester, at least for T-THsters like myself!

Since penultimate is one of my favorite words (my students will vouch for this), I am very excited about this day, so here's some minutiae for y'all.

Wow, when you google minutiae the first thing that pops up is Star Trek Minutiae. Leave it to the Trekkies to know how to spell the word.

Do folks back east pronounce it "minusher," perchance?

This isn't minutiae, but big ups to my homeboy Jay Robinson for taking second place in the 2006 Akron Art Museum New Words Poetry Contest. Check out his winning poem "The First Hours" (click on April 30, and you'll be there). We had a fantastic dinner with Clare Rossini, New Words special guest reader, on Saturday night. Poets + food = always a good thing.

Au sujet de food, I guess you're probably wondering, "What's up with all the freakin' peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in this post?" Well, it's hard to explain. But yesterday morning I was getting ready to lug all of my weekendly academic baggage out of the trunk of my car, when to my surprise I saw--right there in the open, in my trunk, next to my rolling briefcase, computer case, and emergency roadside kit--a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the loose, all by its lonesome, hanging with the big dogs like it weighed thirty pounds and was awfully proud.

Somehow it must've snuck out of my lunch and there I caught it, in flagrante delicto. You might not think it's funny, but I have been laughing about this incident ever since. Let's make this reason #54 for why my next cell phone must have a camera in it.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a silly sammich!

I'll bet it was getting ready to fire up your laptop to try and start its own blog.

sammichontheloose.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

by the way, your title has me wondering if there's such a thing as Penultimate Fighting, and if so, what the heck that could possibly be.

marybid said...

by the way, your title has me wondering if there's such a thing as Penultimate Fighting, and if so, what the heck that could possibly be.

Maybe the second to best guy wins (i.e. the loser)!

Steven D. Schroeder said...

I have a poem with "Penultimate" in the title--in fact, I think I may have sent it to RHINO.

Unknown said...

Aquafina water is just municipal tap water sold by Pepsi. No wonder it tastes so awful.

marybid said...

Deborah--this makes perfect sense!

I bet we knew it was tap water, with our distinguished palates and all...

Justin Evans said...

Any chance of you commenting on my comment, making it the 'penultimate' comment on this page? I can't say it would be the second biggest thrill of my day, but it would be something.

Unknown said...

Justin

Here you go

D

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...