05 October 2005

Doppelgangbang

Every time I get my hair chopped off, people start saying hmmm...you remind me of somebody.

I resist the urge to be a smartass and say, "Do I remind you of Mary Biddinger, only with shorter hair?" But really, how should one respond to such a statement? It seems natural to start guessing. But should I guess the usual suspects, or throw in Paris Hilton or Tyra Banks or Steve Buscemi some time? Should I act surprised? Starstruck? Nonplussed? Furious?

The other day I was at a fancy dinner and a person of administrative importance to an institution other than my own asked if he had met me before. Surely they'd "brought me in" at some point, right? My reply, "Well, maybe you've seen me on the internet."


Apparently that statement has some connotations I hadn't intended. Next time I'll ask if the questioner happens to frequent The Word Cage. Okay, I guess that isn't much better.


So what's the right way to respond? Is anyone else plagued by a case of the you-remind-me-ofs? Any clues about proper doppelganger etiquette?


BTW: It will grow back.

15 comments:

Jenna from Texas said...

I love the cut! So professional. Very Katherine Zeta Jones from Chicago. I was told I look like Gloria Estefan with my new style. Never heard that one before. Hmm.

Penultimatina said...

Jenna, your new cut is what I was aiming for...but apparently I didn't know how to articulate it. :)

PS--the rhythm is gonna get ya!

Kathi said...

Oooooohhh I love it Mary, I too see a hint of Catherine Zeta Jones, NICE!!

Sadly the only person anyone EVER tells me I look like is Wynonna Judd, then they sputter nervously when I ask if it's because that's the only other chubby redhead they can think of.

louise said...

It is unbelievably adorable. You've inspired me to go short again.

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Your look kind of reminds me of Leah Remini, though to be fair it's not hair-specific either way.

P. J. said...

Jennifer Tilly.

And it's very cute...this coming from someone who's usually the instigator of "You remind me of..." conversations and who is also persnickety about things like this.

(I got mine cut when I was home again...where'd you go?...I had a girl at the wedding reception say I looked "good enough to eat" so I'm pretty happy with Mandy...shit, I'm a dude talking about hair again. Mary it looks great.)

wayne said...

Nice hair. I have a doppleganger.

Byf once told me I look like Wayne Gretzky, but more athletic.

At the MHS 10 year, 1/2 thought I was Byf, 1/2 thought Byf was me, and 6/7 didn't know we existed.

I hope it doesn't creep you out that I'm crashing your blogangbang.

Penultimatina said...

*blush* Thanks, y'all.

PJ--email for you! Was mired in all things Philip Levine, alas! I hope it was fantastic! So sorry to miss you.

Wayne--you're overdue in birthday donuts.

Byf said...

OK, this is odd for several reasons:

1. "Wayne" resurfaces.

2. I just woke up from a dream in which I had hockey hair.

3. You are much more attractive than Renee "I'm sucking on a tangerine Altoid" Zellweger.

Charles said...

I love it! It's adorable.

wayne said...

It only took me 9 hours, but I finally remembered the birthday donut. You have a memory like a bear trap. Of course, you probably would have forgotten a birthday eclaire or tart or box of Russel Stovers.

sarahbobeara said...

ooooh, love it! how much did you get cut off?

what did mr. catshoe think? and little catshoe? looks great!

Strong Enough said...

I LOVE it Mary!!! You look awesome!

Strong Enough said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
32poems said...

You look great!

--dba