26 October 2005

Go away, already!

I am beginning to wonder if weeks of rain and cold temps are signature Northeast Ohio weather, or if this is a fluke. In any case, I am getting rather sick of the dampness. There's no way in hell I'm going out to bring in the trash cans today (sorry Frank). I kind of like the gloom, but the rain is just too much.

On Saturday I drove through the rain to the astonishingly beautiful Trinity Commons at Cleveland State University. This is the home of the CSU Poetry Center and the site of our NEOMFA faculty & student gathering. What a spectacular facility, and a breathtaking cathedral!

Wrote (and workshopped, with APC) a new poem trying to be less "oblique and puzzling," and apparently it worked. I actually used a bit more direct autobiographical detail in it (nothing exciting or scandalous, however), so maybe that's the key for some poems.

Currently working on writing a little paper to submit for this.

6 comments:

P. J. said...

I recall three and a half weeks without sunshine in April 2001 when I was at UofA, so steel thyself for another round in the spring, darlin'. Now you know why I growed up grumpy.

Wow. You have your own trash cans now. I really gotta catch up with the Joneses.

Penultimatina said...

PJ, I am going through some hardcore withdrawal. Apparently I *need* your blog, especially during these gloomy days.

PS--It stopped raining!

Steven D. Schroeder said...

I'm currently trying to make my poetry a little more oblique and puzzling. :-)

Suzanne said...

Our place looks like a tornado hit--too much rain, not enough space. Send us some sunny vibes, Mary!

Carol McCarthy said...

Mary,

Shame on you for being less oblique and puzzling!!! I should take heed to your advice.

I am in the midst of a lovely semester at UNO via online classes. Not much fun without contact-poetry workshops.

Hope all is well in Akron.

Cheers,

Carol

Penultimatina said...

HELLOOOOOO Carol! Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you guys are doing well.

Many hugs!