26 February 2008

Not a creature was learning


You know your mom is from Michigan when four inches of snow fall overnight, and she doesn't even entertain the thought that there'd be a snow day, but instead dresses you in your uniform and barrels into the parking lot of school, wondering where the hell everyone is.
You know your professor is from Michigan when all of the city schools are closed, but she can't entertain the thought that campus could be closed too, and instead barrels down Market, and rather than turning around when she sees that the only other vehicle in the primo lot belongs to her favoritest colleague, rejoices at the thought of parking right next to him. And oh, where are all of the students, the professors, the staff?

Only the most devoted are reporting for duty today, or the most behind and in need of serious uninterrupted time. Or a combination thereof.

Has this been a particularly bad winter for other folks? This is the second day we've had classes cancelled, and the third snow day for the kids. What gives?

9 comments:

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Mary--

In the NW, we have a snowday if someone even whispers "snow." We've had 1 or 2 this year and many late arrivals. On one of the snow days there was NO snow in our neighborhood, but as our school district always says, "but there was snow somewhere."

Sara said...

Hmm...I should move to the northwest. You and Eric are awfully dedicated. How did Akron get so lucky?

Karen J. Weyant said...

Most of this winter has not been that bad -- but February has been a MESS! And it's not just snow, it's the ice.

I taught two classes with great attendance today. I guess I am just being a crybaby.

marybid said...

Our whole town is empty, it seems. The snow on the tree branches is gorgeous.

It was way too quiet in the office, so I came home. So much for productivity...

Justin Evans said...

Having grown up in Utah, I never had a single snow day. I really doubt I would know what to do if I was ever given one. Even here, where I teach now, we don't ever get snow days because we are 110 miles from the district offices, and that means it's never the same weather here as there, and they never think we have bad enough weather. They also are an hour behind us, so by the time we could ever get hold of them, it's already an hour into school, which means the kids are already here.

Unknown said...

You need more people from Michigan down there.

John Gallaher said...

This is the worst winter in northern Missouri in many years, like decades or somthing. Or so they say. I've only been here five years.

P. J. said...

No such luck here; we get just enough that it takes 10 minutes to scrape off your car, but nothing substantial or pretty. I miss lake effect snow.

Jabberwocky said...

Yeah, I'm originally from the Flint area and I had a bunch of errands to run yesterday. So I did.

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...