17 June 2008

So sweet, but nowhere near cold.

There aren't many times where I just want to go punch out a window, but yesterday was one of those days. I didn't, however.

I'm not usually aware of the fact that I am trying to "have it all" in life, until little things start to undermine me. Like being home with a sick baby during the last week of summer class, with so much grading to do, and then realizing that the brand new fridge died some time in the recent past, and that $200+ of food will have to be thrown away.

And then realizing that I'm more pissed about having to make time to go to the store than about the actual loss of food. The culinary inconvenience is pretty crappy, too. Hello, dry toast.

I'm not complaining. So many people have it so much worse, obviously. But it's funny to see how the little things that help us keep it all together--coming home from a long day at work and having non-rotten food to cook for your family, for example--can also make everything go haywire.

Thankfully my BFF is taking me out to lunch today, and there's a poetry editors' meeting for BOR this afternoon, so there's something to look forward to other than warm Rolling Rock on the horizon.

Is it really only Tuesday?

5 comments:

Nin Andrews said...

Oh, man. I've been there. It's the worst.
I hate grocery shopping AND I hate buying appliances . . .
And yeah, I always try that same logic, and it's true. I am about to visit my daughter in the Peace Corps in El Salvador --where there isn't even running water. And they have bugs the size of dinner plates and . . .
Okay. I'll complete this when I return.

Jeannine said...

Ugh! I'm so sorry, sweetie. That reminds me of the summmer I lived on Bainbridge Island, and the power would go out for 9-12 hours about once a week. I got very picky about buying perishable food.
Hope it works again soon, and everyone feels better!

Artichoke Heart said...

Hope the sick baby/refrigerator blues pass as smoothly as one might hope for. Sending good sick baby/refrigerator blues no more ju ju your way!

Amy said...

It's the little thing that will drive one insane. Death of parent, got it. Blocked car registration--gimme a gun!

newzoopoet said...

Reminds us how we are hanging on by a thread sometimes -- and don't even know it!

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...