You are totally right. I have not posted any actual New Year's Resolutions here, and that is rather disappointing. You must think that I don't care about self-improvement. But I do! Or some version of it. Or whatever.
Really, I was too busy "having fun" (yeah, what's that, right?) to write my resolutions out. So here goes.
1. I shall not spend my entire life in the office. This is my last semester before a three-year administrative gig that will have me working in the office a lot. I do like working here, but sometimes I end up with extra work because I'm around. So I am resolving to learn how to work in other places. Like underwater. Just kidding. Maybe at home, or similar.
2. I shall not make more work for myself. I'm not sure what that involves--perhaps some judicious use of the word no--but I am going to try it.
3. I shall organize my poems, once and for all. This includes revising my current ms and giving it the new ending that I feel brewing, even if it's inconvenient and involves dealing with that bitch called pagination.
4. I shall not simultaneously submit, ever again. Done! Ha. That was easy. Take me off the BFS show.
5. I shall stop being meek and mild when I don't need to be. I didn't grow up and work hard so that I can continue to be pushed around like the rebellious teenager that I never really was.
6. I shall stop feeling bad about doing anything but working in my office while my kids are at school or with a sitter. I'm not sure if I will be able to do this, but I will try. This morning I did have a few tranquil moments at the laundromat (before realizing I'd been using a dryer sans heat for 30 minutes--bah) where I didn't feel like I was being an evil person for being alone for a few minutes. Sometimes we all need that, I think.
So there it is. And now I have some very thirsty office geraniums to attend to, thank you very much.
It's the first day of finals week and I already have that loopy off-my-routine feeling. Waiting for things to grade, and when those ...
The universe is telling me to go back to sleep today. This doesn't happen often, and I can't do it. But there's something abo...
I'm trying like heck to remember what last year's spring break was like. Has it gotten to that point? Where every year blurs in...
This book is not a book, it’s treatise on empire, a manifest destiny, a pack of wild peasants outside the gate, a mesmerizing tour ...