09 October 2009

Grappling.

I haven't taken any (semi) meaningful pictures lately. I have a really nice camera, but tend to use my phone for spontaneous photos instead. But then I got a BlackBerry, and everything was different, and even though the camera in it is much better than the one in my old phone, I still shy away from trying. From now on, however, I will get over it. I would like to start blogging a bit more, too.

My course adoptions are a week late. Whoops. I've had several interesting discussions with colleagues, and will be doing something different with the readings in my MFA class. Let's just say that it will be a bit old school, but in a really good way.

I spent some time in the library this morning. It's amazing how anxious I still get perusing the stacks, worrying about books being missing (several were). I used to work in libraries, so you'd think it wouldn't be a concern, but it still is. Then I read a couple of essays (Olson, Levertov) and completely derailed my to-do list. I need to get back on track now.

I've been away from my manuscript for a while, but now that I'm doing readings from it I am finally ready to think about sequencing. I'm still writing new poems for it, too. I think I will send it to 1-3 presses that I really, really admire, but I'm not going to mass-saturate. Being on the other side of things is hard sometimes. A goodly portion of the poems in the ms are forthcoming places, but I'm not sure about the overall doneness yet.

It's hard to believe that next week is week eight, and the semester is halfway over. I'll have some editorial project announcements soon. Until then, I'll be the lone orange in the vestibule above.

2 comments:

Lyle Daggett said...

"The Orange in the Vestibule." Sounds like the title of a mid-twentieth century British novel.

(Not sure by whom, the only British novelist from that period that I've read much is Graham Greene, and it doesn't sound like one of his titles.)

It's not the title of a novel, as far as I know, but sounds like it could be one.

marybid said...

Lyle, perhaps it was the working title of a Graham Greene novel at one point. But then he realized it was just too cool... ;)

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...