What I do not need:
1. A diary. I think I had one as an adolescent. Even then I didn't need one the way some people do.
2. Distractions. Perhaps this is because I am naturally distracted by things that shouldn't be distracting. I don't think television could ever fit into my life again, aside from watching football occasionally.
3. Tea. I wish I needed or wanted tea. I grew up drinking tea all of the time, but that's because my mom made it for me. I'd like to be a tea drinker. I'm just not.
4. Reading for pleasure. Don't hit me. I just don't get to elect to read something because it's enjoyable. Often, however, I do find myself liking the things I have to read.
5. More than 5.5 hours of sleep per night. I hear you're supposed to get more than that.
What I do need:
1. At least one instance of unexpected beauty every day. Today I viewed some ominous clouds in the distance, and they were exactly what I needed to see at that moment.
2. Typos, and other language mistakes that remind me how playful words can be.
3. The uncanny. I need this even more than coffee.
4. Something small and furry that sneaks around my house, yet ultimately ignores me. I have four of these at present. That's not counting the ones I'm just imagining are there.
5. A wee bit of competitiveness. I am not proud of this. Sometimes I need to intimidate myself in order to get inspired.
It's the first day of finals week and I already have that loopy off-my-routine feeling. Waiting for things to grade, and when those ...
The universe is telling me to go back to sleep today. This doesn't happen often, and I can't do it. But there's something abo...
I'm trying like heck to remember what last year's spring break was like. Has it gotten to that point? Where every year blurs in...
This book is not a book, it’s treatise on empire, a manifest destiny, a pack of wild peasants outside the gate, a mesmerizing tour ...