What I do not need:
1. A diary. I think I had one as an adolescent. Even then I didn't need one the way some people do.
2. Distractions. Perhaps this is because I am naturally distracted by things that shouldn't be distracting. I don't think television could ever fit into my life again, aside from watching football occasionally.
3. Tea. I wish I needed or wanted tea. I grew up drinking tea all of the time, but that's because my mom made it for me. I'd like to be a tea drinker. I'm just not.
4. Reading for pleasure. Don't hit me. I just don't get to elect to read something because it's enjoyable. Often, however, I do find myself liking the things I have to read.
5. More than 5.5 hours of sleep per night. I hear you're supposed to get more than that.
What I do need:
1. At least one instance of unexpected beauty every day. Today I viewed some ominous clouds in the distance, and they were exactly what I needed to see at that moment.
2. Typos, and other language mistakes that remind me how playful words can be.
3. The uncanny. I need this even more than coffee.
4. Something small and furry that sneaks around my house, yet ultimately ignores me. I have four of these at present. That's not counting the ones I'm just imagining are there.
5. A wee bit of competitiveness. I am not proud of this. Sometimes I need to intimidate myself in order to get inspired.