06 July 2011

Ordinary-ish time.

This anecdote is really dorky, so please stop reading now if you dislike tales of otherwise cool people getting dorky, or exhibiting dorky behavior, or whatever. So lately I have become ADDICTED TO READING. Like, I read A Visit from the Goon Squad in just a couple of days, sneaking it on the sly like cigarettes or tablespoons of verboten peanut butter.

The upside of this is that I am very passionate about reading books for fun right now. The downside is that this is at the expense of writing poems. Thirty spare minutes in the evening? Read book, not write poem. Will write poem once finished this chapter, I mean this book, I mean this next book. I'm not sure when I last felt like this, but it must be a good thing, so I won't totally fight it. It's like when I lie to myself and say that I crave particular foods because my body must need them.

Otherwise, this week being confused about what day it is. Feeling kind of anxious (understatement) for no reason. Next week Gabi is in more camp, and I have some meetings. Week after that: on call for jury duty all week, rescheduled from exam week Spring semester. Then: several weeks of blank calendar (hooray).

Yesterday I got to wade in a spillway. Maybe when I get less addicted to reading I can write a poem about it, or about something else.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yay for reading! Yay for reading for fun!

Michael A. Wells said...

Okay, I get how the reading this is fun [for you] but after reading Saint Monica, how much longer am I going to have to wait to read another book of your poems if you aren't writing? [said in only a slightly selfish tone]

marybid said...

Michael, ha! My new book is coming out in September 2012. :)

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...