20 June 2005

Ragdale on my mind

It's been years since my residency at Ragdale, but I still find that prairie creeping into my poems. It was such a wonderful opportunity; I was a graduate student then, working a full time temp job and counting down the days until I could quit and be whisked off to Ragdale to focus on writing poems, not drafting newsletters about lead paint dangers. Of course, that was also before I had a child and really warranted a getaway, but at the time it was just what I needed (even if I spent way too much time sleeping and musing, and not enough time writing).

I remember being a little antisocial. I remember the rooms were twice the size of my apartment at home. I remember this huge sense of history, and feeling very small. I remember a chipmunk running through the living room! I remember going nuts one day being away from the city, and hopping on the METRA and sneaking a getaway from my getaway. Next time I have a residency I will get more done, I promise, and I won't escape (unless I get that itch again). Any other Ragdaleurs out there, or other writers' retreats to mention?

5 comments:

wickedpen said...

Wow...it is amazing we HAVEN'T met...of course I recognized your name from the Rhino masthead but had no idea you had a blog...very cool..

Penultimatina said...

HI Kristy! Thanks for stopping by! It's a small world...er, city, that is!

Penultimatina said...

PS---Kristy, I have a little Chicago women's poetry group irl, so send me an email if you might be interested, and I will give you the scoop: catbad@excite.com It's very low key, and quite supportive.

Stay cool! It's getting toasty again (though today my office was like a meat locker--brrr).

J.J. said...

Isn't sleeping and musing the idea? Anti-social sounds about right, too, as well as getting antsy for the city. All signs of health, even refinement, I would argue--and possibly the start of a resurgence of sustained creativity which might not really even kick in until after returning to "civilization."

You needn't promise yourself a rose garden when a rose or two are all you really need...props!

Penultimatina said...

All signs of health, even refinement, I would argue--and possibly the start of a resurgence of sustained creativity which might not really even kick in until after returning to "civilization."

Thank you, Snackwell! I am feeling redeemed now, and yes, it was the beginning of a (somewhat delayed) resurgence of words.