10 September 2005

Bit of poetry wisdom du jour...

From PJ Clark

16. I have two pet peeves: When people use the word ironic when they mean coincidental; and when people claim poetry "can be anything." It can't. It has a name and a definition and therefore a limitation. The craft in poetry is doing what you can with those boundaries (pushing them, messing with them, being creative despite them) but poetry is not simply expression. Crying children can express themselves. My cat expresses himself. But it's not poetry. Poetry takes work.

Paddy, I'll whip up my own twenty once I've recovered from teaching my Saturday am MFA workshop. Sleepy, but heck, I have little muffins and juice!

No comments:

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...