16 October 2005

Ladies and gentlemen...

I just finished penning my introduction for Edwidge Danticat, who will be reading at our campus tomorrow. I've emceed plenty of events in the past, but that was usually after a pint, in semi-darkness, and in front of a fairly small crowd. This will be different. I won't be able to shriek "Shut up, people!" when I want to get started.

Tomorrow I'll be in my office all morning taking care of the matters I couldn't attend to last week (damn cold!), and then it'll be home to change into a pinstripe skirt and suit jacket (and a shirt underneath), eat a bunch of fettuccini alfredo so I don't get loopy, and practice my intro.

I feel like I've been preparing for this event for months, and that's because I have (even before moving to Akron). I've been cramming Danticat's books like a freshman during finals week. I am beginning to dream in Creole. Almost. The Dew Breaker is spectacular.

Thank heavens my voice is almost back to normal. I'm glad I'm a ham during times like this.


Edwidge Danticat to speak at NEOMFA Program, October 2005

Danticat will be reading from her work on Monday, October 17 at 5:30 p.m. in the South Ballroom of Martin Center at the University of Akron and again on Wednesday October 18 at 7:00 p.m. at the Lakewood Public Library. Thursday, October 20 at 5:00pm she will give a lecture at YSU: Edwidge Danticat: A Lecture on Memoir
Read her Biography
Books by Edwidge Danticat

No comments:

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...