05 April 2007

Downright cruell (sic)



Yes, those were daffodils here on campus, and now they're daffodilsicles. I'd like to say that I had no idea this would happen, but after living in the Midwest forever I know better. Last night at 9 pm I went out with scissors and rescued some of the brightest hyacinths from our beds, so at least indoor flowers are still blooming in Akron, Ohio.

Last night Ray woke up at least once an hour, so today I am zombie + caffeine = ? It's hard to believe that when I was a graduate student I would skip sleep voluntarily. I wish you could bank it. I really can't wait until my six-day-weeks are over. I bet the thesis defense I'm chairing this afternoon will help my adrenaline kick in. I'm wearing a blazer, after all.

Tonight we're having an open mic reading at
Mocha Maiden/Musica in downtown Akron from 7-9 pm. It's such a fantastic space. Please wake me up when it's my turn to read. Or maybe I'll have a shot of espresso in my white wine.

Friday night I'm reading with Craig Paulenich at the Youngstown State University Kilcawley Center gallery, 7:00 pm. I was shocked to see us listed on
the Poetry Foundation website. I guess the rust belt is now chic. I will be reading my Saint Monica poems and a few from Prairie Fever too.

5 comments:

Peter said...

Oh what a great picture!
It should be the poster for next year's National Poetry Month. With the tag line: "April is the cruelest month."

Sara said...

eew, espresso and wine? Mary! A day like today calls for Baileys and coffee.

marybid said...

That's a great idea, Peter!

Sara, back when I worked in coffeehouses I used to toss two shots of espresso in a diet coke. How's that for disgusting?

Brandi said...

M, a little Switchback birdy named Bex worked for the Poetry Foundation compiling readings... coincidence?? ;)

marybid said...

Aha! Please send Bex my thanks!

I love little birdies...

:)

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...