03 May 2007

13 Poets

I've been tagged by Jeff Newberry and there's no turning back.

Say someone asked me, "I kind of like poetry, but I don't know anything about contemporary poetry. Who should I read?"

No blog friends
No real-life friends
No real-life mentors
Alive as of this writing


I'd say, in no particular order:

1. Li-Young Lee
2. Frannie Lindsay
3. Carolyn Forché
4. Peter Meinke
5. Bob Hicok
6. Kim Addonizio
7. Michael Ondaatje
8. Jim Harrison
9. Michael S. Harper
10. Wanda Coleman
11. Stephen Dunn
12. Martin Espada
13. Yusef Komunyakaa

This was really hard! I guess I should start making fewer friends, or more enemies.

I hereby tag Adam, Jeannine, Sara, Stephanie, and Jessisa

12 comments:

Sara said...

I tagged myself last night...I just couldn't wait to do this one.

marybid said...

Consider yourself re-tagged, then. ;)

Sandra said...

Frannie Lindsay--good choice!

marybid said...

Well, they wouldn't let me put Sandra Beasley on there, so I had to pick somebody. ;)

Stephanie said...

Hooray! I've been tagged. :) I'm getting right on this one.

Adam Deutsch said...

I'll meditate on this, and fulfill the challenge of "the tag" tomorrow. The Tag: never to be taken lightly.

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Bob Hicok is on a lot of these lists. Either he's really representative of some aspect of contemporary poetry and/or really good, or he's not a friend or mentor to anybody. :-)

Adam Deutsch said...

The man is everywhere, including the first two pages of the latest Poetry. Stay tuned to 9L for more on that....

marybid said...

When the heck is my May issue of Poetry going to arrive?

I am losing my patience.

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Hicok was in basically every prominent journal I got published in in (hey, shut up about the grammar) the past year, leading me to suggest I write a poem called "Stalking Bob Hicok." Actually, though, I think it's more like he's stalking everyone else.

marybid said...

I stalked him this morning looking for that poem "The Edge" with the stapler tattoo. I dig that poem.

Justin Evans said...

Steve:

I have a poem called "Chasing Virgil Suarez," though it has no real discussion of the "I can't believe how many pubs this guy has" to it.

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...