07 January 2008

Goodbye snow, hello wind.


Look at the gust just trying to steal the brown leaves off this poor tree. The tree doesn't want to let go, but it's inevitable. Or is it? I love these winter thaws, even if they are just one tease after another.

The away messages are officially down, the kids are back in school, and my door is now open, as I answer questions and attempt to do five things at once. Winter break sure flies by when you're trapped in the house with sick kids, and then sick yourself. But I am on the mend, and I will prevail!

So here's a ponderous thought for a Monday. Do you think change, of any kind, is really a possibility, whether it's this or anything else? Do things ever really change? Or is it plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose?

I want to be: starry-eyed
Unfortunately, I am: cynical

4 comments:

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Do you think change, of any kind, is really a possibility, whether it's this or anything else? Do things ever really change? Or is it plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

***I think change is possible by action, but whether people act (citizens vote, politicians listen and respond) is something else.

Humans seem to change incredibly fast technologically, however, we tend to evolve slowly when it comes to prejudices, fears, and acceptance.

I think change happens when people (generations) die out. We're living longer, we carry old beliefs.

I look at my daughter's grade school--many of the kids are from inter-racial families and this is the norm.

They know little about the stereotypes from my generation. In her class, they are equal no matter what race, no matter girl or boy. This is what she knows.

I was talking to her this morning about the candidates. I didn't say "a woman candidate" or "a black candidate" as in her community, her generation doesn't think this way, she sees people wanting to be the president.

I do believe in change--sometimes it will be instant, other times, we will look back and think "remember when..."

I am hopeful, but not always optimistic.

Talia Reed said...

Don't all politicians talk about "change?" Especially when they're not the incumbant. And maybe they are well meaning and then can't help themselves...they are politicians. I guess I'm cynical too.

Meagan said...

I think change happens so slowly that we can't see it, or so quickly that we describe it as trauma.

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Change is imperceptibly tiny on the day-to-day scale (certain days excepted), unbelievably vast and rapid in a historical sense.

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...