28 March 2008

And just like that...

...he was an MFA.

I successfully made it through Jay's thesis defense without bursting into tears. It's a miracle! There were three (or four) distinct times where I was really close. I just couldn't look at him when I was talking. I stared at an empty bookshelf instead. Jay did a fabulous job, and I am so proud of him. Hop over to his blog and send him some congrats!

We have a bunch of MFAs graduating this semester, and it's hard for me because we started at the same time (I've been here three years). Jason was the first to defend. For the next two weeks, I have 3-5 defenses on each Friday. Good lord.

This must be a relaxing weekend. It must. Because next week will be intense. Tonight: nothing but laziness. Tomorrow: more of the same.

4 comments:

Eduardo C. Corral said...

ah, mary! you're such a sweet teacher!

marybid said...

I am a total dork! But I can't help it. They're just such good folks... :)

Amy said...

I'm cryin' just reading about it. Hope we can celebrate at Pint's.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there was definitely no eye contact on my part as well. It might have gotten ugly with the both of us wailing!

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...