14 July 2010

On lockdown.

Just like snowflakes, no two summers are exactly the same.

For example, at this time last summer I had written over 40 pages of new poems. This year? 8 pages, and not all of them keepers.

But every summer is different, right? It's not like one snowflake lands on your arm, and another on your hand, and you're like this snowflake is an asshole and this one here is queen perfect.

This year I also decided to get all of my teaching and editorial work done first. Last year I was teaching at this time and wrote first.

I can't help but feel a bit behind / frantic / loserish /craptastic.

My vacation will begin on Friday, 23 July and end on Friday, 13 August (spooky!). It's a poecation, though, not a vacation. I'm not going to vacate anything.

I am also very likely not going to write an entire new book this summer.

I'll just have to put myself on lockdown and see what happens.

We said goodbye to LeBron James and Harvey Pekar this week.

I had the pleasure of driving behind and in front of some of the most ghastly drivers in Northeast Ohio this week.

I was on Verse Daily yesterday. It's been a million years since that happened.

Hoping to go to the shore this weekend. That always inspires me, even if the water isn't exactly clean. Maybe that's what inspires me.

Note how I'm writing as if today is Friday. That may give you a sense of what time is like in Akron, Ohio today.

4 comments:

Justin Evans said...

I hope you will be able to relax during your mini-vacation. The poetry arrives or it doesn't, and that's all there is.

Congratulations again on the verse daily---even with all of they typo struggles it's something to marvel at and be proud of.

marybid said...

Thank you, Justin! And thanks for your note yesterday.

I'm glad they took that mysterious dude "Ton" out of the poem.

:)

Oliver de la Paz said...

What Justin said. Relax. The poems'll come. Besides . . . there's a certain thing that happens during August.

Mehnaz (Turner) Sahibzada said...

I love "poecation."

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...