23 August 2011

First day crack-up.

School: it's back in session! I am only teaching one class this semester (I am on a 1:2 again this year, which will change next year, as I will no longer be directing the MFA program, which, coincidentally, has a nice new website). Anyway, I am teaching an intro to poetry writing workshop, which is one of my favorite classes to teach. It seems like an awesome bunch. Totally odd time of 12:15-1:30, but everyone was still awake and not gnawing on gigantic sandwiches or anything. It was great. Then I went back to my office and got knocked out of my chair by an earthquake.

I sometimes have problems dealing with my blood sugar and thus end up shaky/loopy/vertigo-esque, so I figured I'd had another one of those 120 calorie Lean Cuisines by mistake or something, but then the building was really swaying, and we stood in the doorways and felt queasy. I'm not sure why I am compelled to document this, but it was quite eerie and strange (not to mention the flurry on twitter afterwards, like everyone was getting quaked at the same time). Afterwards I went out and took a bunch of pictures and I'm super happy with them. So thus rests the first day of school 2011. An auspicious start, for sure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Laurie Price said...

Hi Mary,

You don't know me, but we're linked by association via Rebecca Loudon's Radish King blog.
I felt compelled to leave a comment here, precisely, after reading your earthquake description (I also love the photo) & having lived through a few earthquakes myself (SF, CA & Mexico). I'm pretty sure there are really no accurate ways of using words to describe the sensation of BEING in one. Plus sometimes they seem to last so long.
But I, for one, am glad to have participated in a few of nature's temper tantrums -- they made me take the earth less for granted. Residual life changers.
All best to you!

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...