24 July 2011

Wherein our heroine fears she has disappointed herself, and perhaps others, too.

Is it silly or ungrateful to ask the universe for fewer revelations? Because I feel like I'm about a week behind in understanding what's going on, and basically what's going on is that I have been feeling rather proud of myself for getting by and moving along, but I am really not accomplishing anything. The closets I vowed to organize over the summer? Even messier than before! The weeds I promised to pull? Raging. And I'm not even going to mention the poems, or non-poems, or the meandering.

I did take some nice pictures this weekend, though. And I've read more this summer than I usually read in a year (mostly fiction and nonfiction, for fun), so that can't be bad. But I fear it's Time to Buckle Down in a big way, as in: learn how to write poems with the kids home, and clean those damn closets. I will not even get into what we've been eating, because summer food on a budget is not the healthiest, though we are earning A+ grades for produce consumption, so that is a good thing.

The poem-writing might be easier if I had some kind of series or project, but my series concepts are a little willy-nilly right now. I was describing to Eric tonight that the best quality of my most recent poem (written today, because I forced myself) is that its lines are very symmetrical. I guess this means I need to try again, and again, and again.

2 comments:

Stranger Passing said...

Hello,

I found your blog when I was checking out some of the links on John Gallaher's blogroll, and have been following your posts for a couple weeks. Good stuff, and got me thinking about starting a poem series myself to keep me writing through the rest of summer. I've done it in the past (a few lines a day about my job at the time--a farmer's market) and it turned out to be a lot of fun. Thanks for posting!

Sandy Longhorn said...

I hear you and feel you. I went through this all on Saturday. Then, yesterday, I wrote a poem I kind of like. I'm hoping that happens for you too!

Oh, and we've got a closet that's been on "the list" for three summers. :(

Charleston gratitude and overdue update

I've been good about keeping things updated over on my website, but not as successful in updating this dear old blog. Many apologi...